Re: [IP] Silhouette and Book Recommendations

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelsey" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 11:25 PM
Subject: [IP] Silhouette and Book Recommendations

> Hi All,
>
> Two questions from a newbie (still on saline) pumper:
>
> 1)  Is it truly possible to inject insulin through the silhouette infusion
> set?  If so, can I mix (Humolog/NPH) and is there a specific procedure to
> follow or is it generally discouraged?
>
> 2)  I got married about 6 months ago and while my husband has an "ok"
> knowledge of diabetes and is very supportive, I've been trying to find a
> decent book that will teach him more about diabetes without a) scaring him
> or b) boring him.  Does such a creature exist?  He would certainly not be
> insulted if there was a fairly in-depth children's version (might solve
both
> criteria).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if this
> phantom book does exist, it would be truly wonderful if it also talked
about
> the pump as he's a bit confused by it and very very - did I mention VERY -
> squeamish.
>
> Always asking the impossible,
>
> Kelsey
>
> [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had
a name of winmail.dat]
> It is possible, indeed easy to inject thru a sil. put in the plastic guide
which has a metal needle into the sil and carefully inject thru the plastic
plug, if you use too much pressure you can damage the site. mixing insulin
doesn't harm the site. be sure to prime the site with about 0.2 units to
clear the teflon cannula of mixed nph and humulog. if you are pumping why do
you want to mix, you are already getting basal insulin continuously thru the
sil. spot