[IP] Highs and Lows for no reason!

Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 22:38:10 EDT
From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Blood Sugar Crazies

I have been having some really weird problems with my
blood sugars.  I
hate
to bother everyone with these details, but I'm really
frustrated and
stumped.
 I know everyone has lots of fluctuations, but this is
getting
ridiculous!!
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
If you could email
me
personally I would really appreciate it!  Thanks.

1)  The other day I had dinner at 7:15pm (at a
restaurant) - fish,
pasta with
red sauce.  No liquor, 2 bites of tiramisu, no coffee.
 I ate nothing
after
dinner.  (No other factors - i.e, exercise, that time
of the month,
etc.)  At
10:15pm I tested 91.  At 4am, I was up to 292!!
(Incidentally, after a
bolus
of 3.5 units, I tested 88 at 8:45am.)

2)  I tested 143 at 9am.  I ate NO BREAKFAST.  At
noon, I tested HI the
first
time (i.e., over 600!), then retested and was 347,
then again and was
289!!!
(However, a few days later I tested, without eating at
all during this
period, 81 at 8:45am, then 86 at 10:25am and 76 at
11:45am.  Again, no
exercise, etc.  What is that about!?)

3)  At 1:50pm I tested 174.  I ate nothing, but napped
a bit.  At 4pm I
tested 284.  (I ate mainly some bread at lunchtime -
nothing high in
fat.)

4)  Another day for lunch at 1pm I ate 1/2 banana (and
took .8 units)
and a
chicken breast sandwich on grainy bread (took 1.7
units - my ratio is
about
1:15).  At 3:45pm I tested 306 and 343!

5)  Crazy as it sounds, re: point #1, another night
showed my basals
were
okay!!  I tested 120 at 9:35 pm (the previous boluses
were 2.8 units at
6:50,
.7 units at 6:55, and 1.3 units at 7:45pm).  I ate
nothing else, and
awoke at
8:30 am with a blood sugar of 69!!

I feel like I need to do more basal rate testing...
particularly
overnight,
which I absolutely hate!  Any thoughts??
-
send a DONATION

Hi - I guess I don't have anything helpful to offer
you, but sympathy and empathy.  I am having the same
problems and am totally frustrated.  I am not on the
pump, but am seriously considering it.  But this is a
bit discouraging.  Have you been on the pump long?

Yesterday I was high all day despite not eating much.
Last night at 1:00 am I was 36!!!!!!  I had a big
glass of milk with chocolate syrup (never use the
stuff otherwise, but only thing I could "think" of
with a blood sugar that low).  This morning I was 209,
so am wondering if I am in for another day of the same
thing.

Good luck to you - if you get it sorted out, let us
know!

Pat (pumpless!)