[IP] Re: Flying with diabetic supplies

In a message dated 10/6/01 5:47:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I'm flying to Fla. soon and heard that there are 2-3 hour delays at
 while they check out diabetic supplies.
 How can we alert the people to let us through?
 I've called Delta, but this security measure is so new they don't really
 good info.
 Marian >>
Marian - I flew last week from Chicago (Midway) to Las Vegs on Southwest.
They told me to tell them about my supplies when I checked in and they would
check them out at the ticket counter.  I did and they asked what I had and I
started to tell her about the pump supplies and testing meter.  She thought
that would be OK.  When I went through security, my pump did not set off the
alarm.  This surprised me because it had previously at Midway (they ended up
'Patting me down") and I had heard that they had increased the sensativity to
metal.  Thye had also previously gone through my carry-on and questioned my
pump supplies but it was more curiosity than suspicion.  We switched planes
in Kansas City and we had to go through security again because we left the
secure area to go to the bathroom and this time I did set off security.  They
used the wand and even my belt bucket set it off.  I held my pump away from
me.  The security person said that all he could touch on female passengers
was their ankles and the small of their back so he did check that out.
Coming back from Las Vegas it took 4 hours from the time we got in line until
we got past security but that was for everyone who was checking luggage.  If
you had carry-on only, they let you just go through security which made me a
little mad because I thought they were trying to discourage carry-on luggage.
 I didn't say anything about my diabetes stuff and had no problems.  It took
another 4 1/2 hours to get another plane.
I'm sure it depends not only on the airport but the security person
themselves whether we'll have problems.  I did get a note from my doctor
saying that I have to have my supplies with me at all times.  I didn't need
it but I will be flying to Jamaica at the end of November and I figure it
wouldn't hurt to have it.  I had heard that United had a policy that if you
had a syringe, you had to have medication with a label from the pharmacy and
your doctors name on it.  Someone in another group had suggested that the ADA
put together a list of common diabetic supplies so security personnel could
become educated about our needs.

Good luck traveling.