Re: [IP] Re: airport security

At 08:43 PM 10/7/01 -0500, you wrote:
 >I just flew out of Houston Hobby on wednesday and out of New Orleans on
 >Friday.  Neither time was I stopped to check my diabetic supplies.  I was
 >very surprised.  just thought I would pass this on

I recently flew from San Francisco, CA to Pittsburgh, PA, to Manchester, NH
and back again and had no problem whatsoever with my supplies.  Because of
the supposedly more rigorous security measures I packed all my pump
supplies in a checked bag, took the pocket knife and fingernail clippers
out of my purse, and carried with me only two syringes, a bottle of
insulin, and my test kit.

Before the flight I called the airline (U.S. Airways) and found out their
requirements for these items. For them, anyone can carry syringes as long
as they have a vial of insulin with the manufacturer's label on it.  I
tried to call the airport to find out their requirements but was unable to
get through.  So to be on the safe side I had my doctor write a letter of
medical necessity for the insulin, syringes, and test kit. I carried the
letter with me in my purse.

At check in the agent asked if I had anything that could be considered a
weapon.  I explained about the syringes and he said that as long as I had
only as many as I needed it shouldn't be a problem.  I asked him how many
that could be.  His answer was that they wouldn't let someone on with 50
syringes, but fewer than that wouldn't be a problem.

I sent my carry-on stuff through the X-ray machine and no one questioned
it, to my great surprise.  I had the usual difficulty in not sending my
test kit through the machine--they told me to send it through, I told them
I couldn't, turned it on, and told them what it was--but that was about it.

Please take note that this happened before we attacked the Taliban, so
things may be different now.  My feeling is that at that time security had
not gotten any better at all.  That made things easier for me, but I'm not
sure it was a good thing.

Of course I had to wait an hour and a half to reach the check in booth but
I guess that was to be expected given all the airline company layoffs and
the fact that I arrived at the airport at 5:00 am for a 7:30 am flight.