[IP] abscess

Are people with diabetes more susceptible to skin abscesses?  My son has one
that won't go away and now there are smaller ones developing closer to the
bigger one.  I have been to his internist, dermatologist and surgeon.  I
can't seem to get a consistent answer as to what it is.  The surgeon wants to
remove the larger one, but how do I know that's the right thing to do?  He
has been on antibiotics repeatedly which are making him sick.  Anyone else
have/had this problem?