Re: [IP] Nursing Inserting an insulin catheter paving the way fo

Good afternoon all,
These used to be called "Insuflon" subcutaneous catheter
insertion sets, and were available from Chronimed. I am
pretty sure the company name was changed to "Pureline".

The devices have been available for the past (almost) 20
years.  They are used in Sweden for children with diabetes
to minimize daily  injection needle sticks. Dr. Hanas has
been using them in his  practice. (Author of the "mouse
book", as Andrew  Bender, MD calls it.) I have no idea why
the use of these hasn't been well known in this country.

One of the techniques I used for most of my previous pump
patients was to have them wear an insertion piece and inject
their multiple injection doses through the port.  The first
bolus of fast-acting insulin always needed an extra unit
since the part of the set under the skin uses that much and
there is no way to get the last unit infused without doing
that. Once the first extra unit is sitting inside the
catheter, then usual bolus or long-acting doses are the
same, with no additional (unless giving an added

This technique can also be used when disconnected from this
type set for more than an hour or two.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE