Re: [IP] Re: Weirdo skin pain

In a message dated 10/5/01 11:26:38 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< At times, certain areas of my skin - especially on my legs, hips, and butt

I have heard people in the diabetic neuropathy support group I used to go to
describe that symptom -- but I only remember them talking about it in the
feet and legs.

If it is diabetic neuropathy, good control is definitely an answer (I, for
instance, don't even think of peripheral neuropathy under ordinary
circumstances now, but 22 years ago, before home blood glucose monitoring and
the tighter control possible with that, had to occasionally knock myself out
with tricyclic antidepressants to be able to stand the pain), but it is
confusing sometimes because you may get the pain when your blood sugar is
normal after a period of being high rather than in the high period itself.  I
have heard doctors who deal with the problem say that it can last as much as
a year after the period of hyperglycemia.  (I take this with a grain of salt
because, except for transplant recipients, I don't know too many people who
have at one time had hyperglycemia and don't have any such periods for the
next year.)

Linda Z