: [IP] Risk involved with Rapid drops and DKA

From: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Risk involved with Rapid drops and DKA

"Kerri Southard" - gave us some resourses that spoke of the risk involved in
lowering blood sugar too quickly when someone is in DKA.  Can you also please
explain exactly how we will know when someone is in DKA?  Sometimes, Cory's
blood sugar is high and he may even have large ketones, but is he actually in
DKA?  We've always followed his correction factor and given that insulin
along with the amount we are told to add for ketones.  His last round of
highs didn't respond too well to that so we increased his basal for a few
hours.  I would never ever want to risk hurting him by overtreating but how
do I know if high blood sugar and ketones = DKA?
Susan - Very concerned about playing "doctor" to my precious grandson
Every type 1 diabetic will tell you they know when they have ketones. feeling
funny in the legs, feeling "blech" unslakable thirst, constant urination,
headache, drowsyness bad taste in ones mouth. DKA = ketones with metabolites
of fat lowering the pH of the blood resulting in breathlessness, and stupor in
addition to the above. You can test urine on a ketostick. if it turns dark
purple you are in trouble. The precision extra meter can test for ketones in
the blood and it is exact and indicates the concentration of the ketones. it
also is very sensitive and the meter gives a positive reading for ketones long
before ketones appear in the urine. DKA is a serious consequence of type 1
diabetes and increasing insensitivity to insulit causes iFrom:
email @ redacted

"Kerri Southard" - gave us some resourses that spoke of the risk involved in
lowering blood sugar too quickly when someone is in DKA.  Can you also please
explain exactly how we will know when someone is in DKA?  Sometimes, Cory's
blood sugar is high and he may even have large ketones, but is he actually in
DKA?  We've always followed his correction factor and given that insulin
along with the amount we are told to add for ketones.  His last round of
highs didn't respond too well to that so we increased his basal for a few
hours.  I would never ever want to risk hurting him by overtreating but how
do I know if high blood sugar and ketones = DKA?
Susan - Very concerned about playing "doctor" to my precious grandson
Don't use the pump to treat DKA! It is for day to day management of stable
diabetes not sick days.
n. The thing to do is to make cory drink lots of water or Gatoraid, give large
doses of insulin by injection, test frequently and call your doctor. even
though Gatoraid contains sugar it also contains minerals that get peed out
like potassium. If you can't reach your doctor take Cory to an Emergency Room
or call for an ambulance. gatoraid can be given if you over bolus with
insulin. Use a Pen or a syringe to administer the insulin since it is a more
reliable delivery than the pump. Have Cory make mental notes of your treatment
and how he feels. No matter how you slice it, the patient and the significant
others are the doctors when patients are ill. Diabetes is a cruel disease and
a tough thing to live with. It is also a self managed disease. spot