Re: [IP] figuring out basals

In a message dated 10/5/01 3:03:57 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I started "live" on the pump 4 days ago.  The first 24 hours felt
 wonderful, as reflected in the very good glucose readings. At the time, I
 was started on a very low basal of 0.3 u/hr. Pre-pump, I had been on a
 total of 12 units/day long-acting and total of ~ 9 units humalog.
 By day 2 on pump, my sugars had climbed.  My basal is now at 0.4 u/hr and I
 expect to again go up on the basal dose, since my sugars are again rising
 tonight (~ 200).
 The "Insulin Pumping" book is on order (will take 3-4 weeks).  I'm just
 wondering if people tend to be more aggressive with increasing the basal.
 Am I being too impatient?  I felt so well that 1st day on pump with normal
 sugars! >>

You're going to have residual insulin in your body for a bit. The
recommendation is to adjust basals by only .1 unit/hour at a time, I believe.
You're not going to get your basals set overnight, so be patient.

Don't you have a trainer to help you set your basals? I had to call mine a
couple of times a day and read off my numbers, then fax them for awhile so
she could help me set my basals. I'm beginning to think I had it good,
compared to the people on here who appear to have little -- or no --
instruction at all!

Jan and Elvis