Re: [IP] Lantus- good or bad?

In a message dated 10/4/2001 8:03:33 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> since they came out with lantus it's suppose to
>  do , in essence what  the pump does, will the insurance companies start
>  rejecting claims for people going on the pump because they now have lantus
>  to use? You & I know the insurance companies don't take into account that
>  you may have to take more shots. They see that syringes cost less than pump
>  supplies. <snip> What do you think?

First of all, because Lantus is a flat curve means that it does NOT work like
the pump does (in terms of basal rates) . . . For example, it wouldn't deal
with dawn phenomenon, and most pumpers use multiple basal rates to get good
control on the pump because their basal requirements vary notuceably during a
24 hours day.  Also, dosing on injections is not nearly as precise as
pumping.  For some folks, this may not be a big deal -- but for my daughter,
being able to do boluses in 1/10th unit increments and basals in 5/100ths
unit increments is what allows us to get good A1cs without a lot of lows . .
. That said -- I do imagine that some Ins. Co's may try to use Lantus as an
excuse to deny pump applications -- but as far as I can tell, they didn't
have any difficulty coming up with reasons to deny many people's pump
applications before Lantus came out, and I wouldn't expect that it will
noticeably increase the initial rate of denial on pump apps .. .

Just my 2 cents . . .

PumpMama to Katie (10)