[IP] Risk involved with Rapid drops and DKA

"Kerri Southard" - gave us some resourses that spoke of the risk involved in
lowering blood sugar too quickly when someone is in DKA.  Can you also please
explain exactly how we will know when someone is in DKA?  Sometimes, Cory's
blood sugar is high and he may even have large ketones, but is he actually in
DKA?  We've always followed his correction factor and given that insulin
along with the amount we are told to add for ketones.  His last round of
highs didn't respond too well to that so we increased his basal for a few
hours.  I would never ever want to risk hurting him by overtreating but how
do I know if high blood sugar and ketones = DKA?
Susan - Very concerned about playing "doctor" to my precious grandson