Re: [IP] Insulin resistance?

  Sherry Compton <email @ redacted> wrote:
I have noticed lately that my bolus requirements seem to have gone up and I am using a lot insulin each day. Do type 1's usually
have a problem with insulin resistance? Does it change depending on how long you've had D? (15 1/2 years for me). Is there any
thing that can be done? Is it harmful to be resistant?
I am on basals of 1.7 to 2.0 and total 85-100 units of humalog per day. I have noticed that my breakfast and lunch boluses seem
especially excessive. A bowl of cereal with skim milk in the morning takes about 12-15 units of insulin not to make my levels
rise. A lunch of soup, crackers, an apple or granola bar can take 17-20 units. I am a little overweight, but I always have been
(and the baby didn't help much :) ) My basal testing seems to say that my basals are about right. Does anyone have any advice
on this? Is it reallly a problem, or do I just take the amount I need to take, and not worry about it?

Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green, KY
Who seems to take mongo doses of Humalog.

Sherry.,

     Yes IDDM's can have insulin resistance.  I have it and I'm a type 1 diabetic.  My boluses are out of this world.  I also take actos and glucophage to combat the insulin resistence.  Don't let anyone tell you it's impossible to have insulin resistance.  Dawn