[IP] Re: insulin from a local pharmacy

In a message dated 10/31/2000 5:09:10 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  often wonder if the situation is no better at the pharmacy.  I have no
 idea how hot or cold the truck is that delivers to them.  The trucks that I
 have seen there were not refrigerated and the driver may have stopped for a
 3 hour lunch and left the truck in the sun.  And my pharmacy was probably
 the last of 50 stores that were delivered to.
 John Kinsley >>
    I have been a pharmacist in 4 different states over the last 18 years.
Insulin always arrives packaged separately from other medicines in a
styrofoam container with a partially frozen gel pack.  I wouldn't worry about
the insulin at a local pharmacy.  The pharmacists I have known would refuse
delivery on insulin that didn't arrive properly packaged.  I also would be
concerned about cross country deliveries of insulin that were not kept cold.
Anne Morris RPh