[IP] pre carb counting

Susan asks
>  starting to count carbs how did you figure your bolus for
>  meals before? When I was dx in October of '99 this is the
>  way I was taught to figure for my meals

In the OLDEN days, we were given this thing called the Exchange diet.  Our
DOCTORS decided what insulin we would take for a specific amount of food
which was based on our needs, our weight, our activity level etc...  This
made for a fairly strict diet and activity schedule..ie Breakfast was 2 bread
exchanges, 1 milk exchange, 1 fat, 1 fruit and 1 and I protein  - that gave
you two slices of toast with a tablespoon of butter split between them, 1/2
cup oj, a scrambled egg and a glass of milk.  sure you could exchange the egg
and butter for cottage cheese, or the toast for an english muffin, but
basically that was it.

The DOCTOR decided how much insulin was required for that much glucose and
you took that insulin.  There was also a SICK DAY diet, when you couldn't EAT
your regular diet, and an adjustment in your insulin.  You HAD to eat your
snack at the prescribed time, as you had taken insulin to cover it already.
Then you had another plan for those high activity days - which meant you had
to PLAN those...no spontaneous bicycle rides!!I

There is also the sliding scale, which came along later, at least for me, in
which you got to take a little control and base the amount of your regular
insulin on your blood sugar, ie, if you needed to fix a high, youowuld take
more before a meal.  But since I rarely tested before I went on the pump, I
just went by how I FELT..."oh I just ate a bag of M&Ms...bettter take 15
units of Regular" (which is more than the amount I take as basal now...god
did I overinsulinate...)

Anyway....that is what many of us did.  SOme of us got creative.  My
breakfast with the above exchanges was typically something like 12 vanilla
wafers (2 bread exchanges) and a strawberry shake (1 cup milk, 1 egg, 1 cup
strawberries, sugar twin), and my doctor would get mad at that...."not eating
properly, etc." blah blah blah - HE gave me the exchanges...I was just going
by what the "book" said equalled those exchanges!!!

so that is what we did, some of us, pre-carb counting