Re: [IP] Re: Convincing blue shield

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield in Texas and it took them only a day to
the pump when they found out I was planning on getting pregnant, but it
would have taken a lot longer if I had not had pregnancy in the plans. So, I
think you definitely need to provide Minimed with that peace of information.

Good Luck!

dx'd 01/99
pumping 9/00

really?  I called them shortly after receiving a 3 month supply of insulin,
syringes, lancets, test strips, and swabs, and they told me no prior
approval was required from them so long as my doc said I needed it.  I use
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas as well, just started pumping this month.

Minimed does have a medical review/necessity process they use with difficult
insurance companies that seems to help a lot of their customers.

The only problem I've had with BBofT was a mix up in the pre-existing
condition clause.  One phone call and one fax of a certificate of prior
insurance straightened that out.

I also have to say thanks to Minimed.  BBofT covers 90% after the agreed
upon discount for selling to a BBofT member, which with the pump and first 3
months supplies without insulin came to around 500.00.  So when I told the
Minimed rep that I planned on waiting until Jan 01 to place the purchase
order, even when they said they have a payment plan, they called me back and
told me they wrote of that initial cost so I wouldn't have to wait.  I know
they will make their money in the long run with the cost of the supplies
every 3 months which they estimated my out of pocket expense would be about
60.00 every 3 months.