[IP] Senior Diabetics

> From: "Sue" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Senior Diabetics

> I have had diabetes for 40 years and I just got my pump in Feb.,2000.  I =
> wnat to know how you knew about the pumps in '82?  How much did the =
> first one cost and did your insurance cover it then?  I am just curious  =
> Do you have any complications?  I have hypoglycemic unawareness but that =
> is all.

Welcome to the IP list - and I want to add that it's always sad when we make
really good friends due to a disease!! This Q was not directed at a
particular person, but I'm jumping in here since I have 7 more days to reach
50 years of this *lifestyle* and have been pumping over 17 years. I knew
about pumping because my endo wanted to be one of the first and start a core
group. He and his CDE each wore a pump with saline for 3 days before Rx-ing
any to patients. He and one other dr. in Indy were the only 2 pump docs in
Indiana at the time. I am #7 in the area to have one. Sadly, he did not keep
up with the upgrades and new trends of pumping. I'm learning updates from
the 'net.

I have had 6 eye surgeries and was legally blind (20/400 w/correction) for 8
months in '97 (now 20/20 & 20/25 w/o corr.), have had 2 cataract surgeries
in early '94, hypothyroidism, complete hysterectomy due to endometriosis (a
DM complication) '79, gall bladder removal '93, breast tumor the size of an
egg (age 18) removed, neuropathy of the feet and legs, and kidneys presently
function at 18%. I am the pic of health.

The first 31 years of my DM were with ONE (1) shot a day of NPH/Reg, pee
tests which I mostly didn't do - unreliable anyway and didn't like peeing on
my hand, one BG every 3 mos. at the lab, no A1c's, and encouraged to eat
anything and everything since I was going to die and might as well enjoy
life.  I have been married 40 years, 2 children 38 & 39, and 4

Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/2383) & Bluda Sue (MM507C 3/99)
BTW, there are now THREE Jans posting regularly to this list. ܰ