Re: [IP] Preschool Snack Help--Poll

Trent, age 4, goes to the nurse before eating.  She checks his BG and
writes it on a card which she sends with him back to his pre-K class.
After eating, the teacher records what he has eaten on the card and
sends him back to the nurse.  The nurse calls me and reports the BG
and food eaten.  I carb count it and tell her how much to bolus.

We do this same procedure for snacks, lunch, and special snacks
(parties, for example).  I send in the regular snack and prerecord
the food items on the card.  I also fill out another card based on
the school lunch menu, but since this can get changed at the last
minute, the teacher sometimes has to pencil in things.

The carb counting is a bit scary at times, since I am doing it blind,
but so far it has gone pretty well.  When he eats a big lunch, say 60
g CHO, I have to swallow hard when I direct the nurse to give him a
large bolus for food I did not see him eat.

The biggest problem I can see with this is that there is a longer
delay than necessary between his eating and the bolus, but since the
nurse is the only one allowed to bolus, and since she is not able to
go to the cafeteria, I see no way around this.