Re: [IP] Sherry's Pregnancy Update

Sherry wrote:
>>  My due date is May 30, but the doctor seemed to think they may induce
labor a week or two early. I'm not exactly sure why that is.

The reasons that I was given for inducing diabetics early (despite no other
problems with the pregnancy) were:

1.  Infants of diabetic mothers tend to be larger.  Most babies gain weight
at a much higher rate in the last few weeks of the pregnancy than earlier,
so even a normal sized baby at 36 weeks can turn into an uncomfortably large
one by 40 weeks.  Inducing early would obviously circumvent this issue!

2.  The placenta may "age" quicker in a diabetic mother, so by the last
weeks it might not be functioning as well as could be hoped.  The non-stress
tests that most diabetics get quite frequently in the last weeks of
pregnancy are designed to check for this problem.

3.  And finally, some doctors believe that as long as the baby is
sufficiently mature, you might as well go ahead and get it out.  Once past
36 weeks or so all development has occured; the baby is basically just
getting bigger as opposed to continuing to develop.  I think the idea is
that the environment inside the diabetic mother might not be optimal, so why
leave it in there any longer than necessary.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctors say when you ask them for more
details on your next visit!

Marcia
diagnosed '81, on Minimed pump since '94