[IP] RE: Type 1 & Scandinavian ancestry

 Lena asked:
> How many of you type 1's on this list is of skandinavian ancestry? In
> particular Sweden and Finland. I read some Diabetes fact and the
> incidence
> of type 1 per population is much higher in the scandinanvian
> countries. ......<snip>

Finland has the highest incidence of Type1 diabetes at 35.3 per 100,000
followed by Sardinia, IT., U.S. Virgin Islands and Sweden at ~24 per 100,000
whereas Shanghai, China and the Republic of Korea are among the lowest at
about 0.7 per 100,000, according to Diabetes 1996 Vital Statistics (ADA,
pub.)  The USA has a wide variance of incidence because of variations in
geographic race/ethnicity with the highest incidence found in Rochester, MN
(20.6), North Dakota (20.3) and Allegheny County, PA (18.1)

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998.