[IP] LOVE this

The followingi s copied from a news story on the STOCK on Minimed...what I
love about this article is how it is SO much more accurate about DIABETES, -
i mean this article was written from a BUSINESS pers[ectove, not a health

"MiniMed is a technology-driven medical device outfit with a commanding
position in its rapidly expanding market segment. The company is primarily
focused on the intensive management of diabetes, a very serious debilitating
illness that has afflicted over 120 million individuals worldwide. The cost
of treating this disease currently exceeds $100 billion annually and MiniMed
has an array of products that can reduce the cost of treatment and vastly
improve the quality of life of the afflicted.

Approximately 16 million individuals in the US are afflicted with either Type
I or Type II diabetes. MiniMed's external insulin pump treats the more
serious Type I, which affects one million Americans.

MiniMed's pump, which delivers insulin as needed throughout the day, is far
superior to the alternatives of conventional medicine or multiple daily
injections. It provides a much more accurate dose, is less costly over the
long run and is significantly more convenient to the user. In fact, the
annual cost, excluding the one time $5,495 cost of the pump is $700 versus
$1,200 for multiple daily injections and $2,400 for conventional approaches.

(SARA SP here...I disagree with this...I was able to do MDO on less than
that...A couple of boxes of syringes and 24 bottles of insuline (1 each of
regular and NPH) do not cost $1200! )

MiniMed now controls 85% of the market for infusion pumps, but there's plenty
of growth left. Only 10% of all Type I diabetics use advanced infusion pumps.
Much of this can be attributed to the technology adoption curve. There may
soon be an inflection point in the demand curve as 60% of the users have
purchased its pumps in the past three years. Tellingly, once educated on the
benefits of the pump, healthcare workers and diabetics overwhelmingly support
its use"

For the entire article:   <A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/wi/001019/12265.html">
Yahoo - Sector of the Day: Big Opportunity In MiniMed</A>

Sara SP.