Re: [IP] A Really, Really, REALLY Long Vent (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) >:-(

>From: Melissa Collins <email @ redacted>
>To: Insulin Pumpers <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] A Really, Really, REALLY Long Vent  (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!)
> >:-(
>Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
>It all began a month ago.  On September 19th, I woke
>up in the 400's with large ketones.  (Infusion set
>must have gone bad during the night.  Grrrr!) Needless
>to say, I didn't feel too good.  So, I spent the
>morning and beginning of the afternoon inside my room
>because I wanted to make sure my sugars were under
>control and that it was safe for me to be walking
>around campus.
>I was able to get my numbers and ketones down (or
>close enough) to the normal range by 2pm; however, the
>problem with this was that I ended up missing one
>class and being VERY late for the other one.  (My
>second class was at 2pm but I didn't go to class until
>3pm because that was when I felt ok enough to go to
>My first teacher saw me that day and understood why I
>missed class.  He was worried about me, but I didn't
>have any problems at all with him (that day or any
>other days this semester).  I guess he was so
>understanding about these things because he is an EMT
>and he understands these types of situations.
>My second teacher, however, was a different story.  We
>were watching a video that day, so after class I
>approached him.  I apologized for being late and
>explained why I was so late for class.  While I was
>explaining this to him, he was standing by the door.
>After I was finished, he turned his head, and WITHOUT
>saying anything to me, he WALKED OUT of the room!
>Then, on October 5th, we voted on the date we wanted
>to take our mid-term exam.  We decided to take it on
>October 12th.  On October 10th after class, I went up
>to him and talked to about how he wanted me to take
>the test because of my accomidations.  (I am legally
>blind and I have a moderately-severe hearing loss in
>addition to my diabetes.)  He mentioned that he hadn't
>talked to our Students with Disabilities Office, or
>OSSD, but he mentioned that he wanted ME to get in
>touch with the director.  (I was mad at that because
>that was HIS responsibility, not mine.)  Grrrrrrrr!
>He then asked me what accomidations I normally
>received for tests because he didn't have the sheet
>that I had given him from the OSSD director and
>couldn't remember what it said.  So I told him what I
>needed.  He then asked me WHY I wanted/needed those
>accomidatons!!!  I (again) answered his question.
>(Don't ask me why I did.)  Anyway, he ended the
>conversation by telling me to call the OSSD office,
>talk to the director about what I needed to have
>happen, and to have her call him. Then he said
>something VERY important to me: he told me that HE
>Right after that conversation, I went and talked with
>the OSSD director.  I explained that I was having a
>test for that class on the 12th and that she needed to
> [...]
Aaaah yes! Some people just don't get it! I won't bore you with my stories
but I will say that unless someone has actually lived with a Diabetic very
close in their life they mostly do not understand. One guy I knew had
apparently lived with a roommate with Diabetis who he said never had any
problems. I personally doubt that..I think maybe he didn't take time to
notice. Once a teacher wouldn't let me leave the class to go to the medical
room..I had to be carried from her classroom..she was the librarian, and had
  received ample brochures from my mom...oh the list is endless! We need to
educate, and to stress the importance of a cure! I inderstand your
frustration! I am sorry that you had to go thru that..but hang in there!
Things are only getting better with time!