[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

[IP] A Really, Really, REALLY Long Vent (GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) >:-(


It all began a month ago.  On September 19th, I woke
up in the 400's with large ketones.  (Infusion set
must have gone bad during the night.  Grrrr!) Needless
to say, I didn't feel too good.  So, I spent the
morning and beginning of the afternoon inside my room
because I wanted to make sure my sugars were under
control and that it was safe for me to be walking
around campus.  

I was able to get my numbers and ketones down (or
close enough) to the normal range by 2pm; however, the
problem with this was that I ended up missing one
class and being VERY late for the other one.  (My
second class was at 2pm but I didn't go to class until
3pm because that was when I felt ok enough to go to

My first teacher saw me that day and understood why I
missed class.  He was worried about me, but I didn't
have any problems at all with him (that day or any
other days this semester).  I guess he was so
understanding about these things because he is an EMT
and he understands these types of situations.  

My second teacher, however, was a different story.  We
were watching a video that day, so after class I
approached him.  I apologized for being late and
explained why I was so late for class.  While I was
explaining this to him, he was standing by the door. 
After I was finished, he turned his head, and WITHOUT
saying anything to me, he WALKED OUT of the room! 

Then, on October 5th, we voted on the date we wanted
to take our mid-term exam.  We decided to take it on
October 12th.  On October 10th after class, I went up
to him and talked to about how he wanted me to take
the test because of my accomidations.  (I am legally
blind and I have a moderately-severe hearing loss in
addition to my diabetes.)  He mentioned that he hadn't
talked to our Students with Disabilities Office, or
OSSD, but he mentioned that he wanted ME to get in
touch with the director.  (I was mad at that because
that was HIS responsibility, not mine.)  Grrrrrrrr!

He then asked me what accomidations I normally
received for tests because he didn't have the sheet
that I had given him from the OSSD director and
couldn't remember what it said.  So I told him what I
needed.  He then asked me WHY I wanted/needed those
accomidatons!!!  I (again) answered his question. 
(Don't ask me why I did.)  Anyway, he ended the
conversation by telling me to call the OSSD office,
talk to the director about what I needed to have
happen, and to have her call him. Then he said
something VERY important to me: he told me that HE

Right after that conversation, I went and talked with
the OSSD director.  I explained that I was having a
test for that class on the 12th and that she needed to
call and talk to my professor.  She said that she
would call and talk to him and let me know what they
had discussed.

On Wednesday afternoon, I again went down to the
office because she had not called me.  It turns out he
still had not delivered the test to their office nor
had she talked with him because he had not called her
back.  Because that office usually enlarges my tests
for me, she and I were worried about me being able to
take the test the next day.  And to further make
things worse, she told me that she would not be in the
office at all for the rest of the week.

She then called that department's secretary to see if
he had left my test with her.  He hadn't.  My director
explained why she was asking about the test, and the
secretary offered to enlarge the test for the OSSD if
my teacher delivered it to her in time so that she
wouldn't be rushed into sending it over to the OSSD in
time for me to take the test.

However, because the director and I were so worried
about me getting the (enlarged) test on time, and
because she was not going to be there, we had a
discussion with the GA who worked there.  All of us
came to the agreement that because of the problems
with getting the test and because I needed extra time
to take it (not to mention the fact that the director
wouldn't be there to supervise the situation in case
the test wasn't ready by that time), we all agreed
that it would be better that I came to the office to
take the test on Friday afternoon.  (We all agreed
that I would take the test in that office.)

We all agreed that arrangement would be the best one
because that way, the office could look at it and make
sure that it was enlarged big enough for me to see.  I
also liked that arrangement because I knew if there
were any problems that the office would have had
enough time to get in touch with me about the
situation.  (And, yes, I have to admit it: I was happy
to be getting an extra day to study.)  

So, on Thursday, I was surprised when I walked into my
room at 12:26 to get a message from the office saying
I urgently needed to call them.  I called, and the GA
told me that my test had been enlarged and was ready
for me to take it.  Here was the kicker - I needed to
take that test in another room than the office and
that I needed to take that test at 12:30 that day!!! 

I was mad because I found out from the GA that the
test had been delivered that morning to the office. 
The GA told me that he had been rude to her and didn't
really listen to what she was telling him.  We both
could understand that he wanted to take the test that
day, but at the same time, we both felt that I should
take the test on Friday like was originally planned
because that was the accomidation arrangements we had
all agreed to, and he had agreed to go along with
whatever the OSSD director and I had decided.

I told the GA that I was going to follow the agreement
that I had with the director and she told me she was
going to call and explain this to my professor.  Both
the GA and I were NOT happy that my teacher had
handled the situation that way......  

On Friday, I came to the office and took the test like
I was supposed to, without any problems.  (Which was a
good thing because that was a 3 hour test for me.) 
There wasn't any more problems until the next time I
saw my professor, which wasn't until the following
Tuesday (the 17th).  

My teacher passed back our exams and discussed them. 
However, he didn't give me mine back.  So, after class
I went up to him and asked him if he had gotten my
test.  He was very mad.  He told me that he had gotten
my test, but he mentioned that he hadn't graded it

He also told me he was upset because it wasn't
delivered to him until that morning.  I told him I
didn't know why he didn't get it until then, but I did
tell him that I had taken the test on Friday.  He told
me that he knew about that, but was upset at how I had
taken the test and told me that he needed to talk to
the OSSD director about the situation.  He then told
me that I should have made those accomidation

He never said this, but by the way he was talking, he
sounded (at least to me) that he wasn't going to grade
the test until he had spoken with the director and had
a reason to grade it because of the way it was handled
by the OSSD!!!  GRRRRRRRR!

I left class upset but decided to not question things
any further until he had talked with the director or
until the next class, whichever came first.  That's
when my NEXT complaint comes in.  (Yes, there is MORE
to this story!  Grrrrrrrrr!)

On Thursday, I needed to check my basals at 2, 3 and
4pm.  Naturally, two of those times interfered with
that class.  Because we were watching a video and I
felt that it was common courtesy to not distract the
class by checking my sugars in front of them, I
decided to check them in the restroom that was
practically right next to that classroom.  So, I left
the class at 2 and 3 o'clock.  No problems, right? 

After class, I went up to him and asked him if he had
spoken with the OSSD director about the test.  He told
me that he hadn't yet talked to her.  I can't remember
if he mentioned it, but he implied (by the way he was
talking) that he hadn't graded the test yet.  

Then, he asked me why I had left the class.  I
explained to him that I was on the insulin pump and
that I needed to check my blood sugars in order to see
if I was getting the right amount of insulin.  He then
asked me why I needed to check them every TEN minutes.
I couldn't understand what he was talking about
because I had only left the class twice to check my
sugars, so I told him that I had only checked them two
times.  He then said, "Well, is it that bad that you
need to check them so often?"  Grrrrrrrr!

I answered that sometimes I did need to check my
sugars that often.  (I was thinking about the times my
sugars go low.)  ***He then said, "Well, you need to
give me a note from your doctor saying that you need
to do that."***  Basically, not only does he want me
to give him a doctor's note for that day's blood sugar
tests, but I also need him to give me an excuse for
testing my sugars any other time in the future!!! 

I understand that some diabetics would try to take
advantage of this type of situation, but at the same
time, I am not a little child either!  If I want to
fail, then that is my choice!  

I also don't mind checking my sugars in class, but I
felt that I was being respectful to him by not
distracting the class by checking my sugars. 
Actually, the more I think about it, when I am low it
probably IS better for me to check my sugars there
rather than leaving.  So, if I need to check them
there, then I can do that.  But here is the big
question: what happens if my sugars get very high?  I
could give myself my insulin by a shot in class (heh
heh!) but I can't check for ketones in his class so I
would have to leave the class anyway....... 

In the meantime, I have already talked with my CDE and
she is going to be writing a note to my professor
about the necessary sugar checks.  Also, she is going
to talk with the health center and they are going to
provide an excuse for the day that I was very late for
class.  (I can't wait until the health center hears
about these new developments relating to diabetes and
my professor since I KNOW they are going to have a
fit!)  Also, I have spoken with the OSSD director, and
she told me that she is going to speak with my
professor on Monday. 

I am sooooo mad!!!  I don't know what to do about this
one.....  I was thinking about putting these
situations (plus the other ones that all of the
students in his class are mad about) in a letter to
him so that it is in writing. I also thought I would
send a copy of that letter to my CDE, the campus
health office, the OSSD director, that department's
chair, and the dean of this school.  

What do you all think about all of this???  Am I crazy
for being so angry???  Am I doing things wrong???  Is
he right???  If not, is there anything any of you
would suggest that I should do to fix this
situation???  I know several of you have posted about
problems with testing and schools, but I thought
things were different for me since I am in college and
its not like I can go to a principal or anything like
that.......  I guess this is one of those annoying
"major life-changing/growing up learning experiences."

Thanks for listening to me vent!  I am sorry this post
has been so long!  Any help you can provide would be
very greatly appreciated, even if you tell me I am
wrong!  Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Pump hugs,

Melissa Collins
email @ redacted
Happily Pumping since being Assimilated February 22, 2000!
To pump or not to pump, that is the question..............

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Messenger - Talk while you surf!  It's FREE.
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
send a DONATION http://www.Insulin-Pumpers.org/donate.shtml