Re: [IP] Type 1 & scandinavian ancestry

Lena V wrote:
> How many of you type 1's on this list is of skandinavian ancestry? In
> particular Sweden and Finland. I read some Diabetes fact and the incidence
> of type 1 per population is much higher in the scandinanvian countries. Just
> wondered if it meant you werre more likely to develop type 1 if you were
> from there. My parents are Swedish and I'm a type 1. Maybe I'm just looking
> for a relationship where there is none.

Hi, Lena,

There actually IS a higher incidence of Type 1 in the Scandinavian
countries and Finland.

However, incidence in your ancestral population means nothing to you as
an individual -- if you get it, you get it, and if you don't, you don't.

Type 1 occurs in EVERY group of human beings on the earth. I've
frequently heard that Type 1 is very rare in Japanese, but one of my
good high-school friends, of pure Japanese descent, developed it at the
age of 19.

Incidences and risk factors are most important to researchers and
epidemiologists; to individuals, not so much.
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted