[IP] My nervous nephew (kinda long)

A few weeks ago, I hung out with my 12 year old nephew for an entire
Saturday.  We went to the local humane shelter and volunteered about 3
hours.  He spent most of his time petting the litter of 6 week old puppies
while I spent mine hauling poop.  But that's another story :).  During the
day, I checked my blood sugars as usual and didn't get much reaction from
Sky, which is very normal.  At the end of the day when I was taking him back
to his house, I checked my blood sugar while we were driving down the road.
(Don't EVEN comment on that.)  Of course, we were both sitting in the front
seat of my S-10 Blazer and he asked me the most interesting question.  It
was a question that I'd never even thought about.  He said, "Aunt Lea, when
you do that, if  I touched your blood, would I get diabetes?"  It blew me
away.  It's so amazing the things that kids have to deal with these days
with all of the other "diseases" out there and stories they see on the news.
We talked about it for a few minutes, and then he was all better.  It was
something that he said he'd been worried about for quite a while and just
didn't feel comfortable asking me when there were a bunch of other people
around.  What a great kid!!
Lea I
"You think dogs will not be in heaven?  I tell you, they will be there long
before any of us."
-- Robert Louis Stevenson