Re: [IP] changing the set

On 18 Oct 00, at 14:05, Maura Orloff wrote:

>    I'm wondering how to people handle changing the set when they are
> not at home? I can't picture doing it in a public restroom or in the car
> since I mostly use my buttocks as a site. It seems like you have to spread
> out and you would need an office or a room where you could close the door.
> I'm thinking if I'm on campus or a conference or if I stay with a friend
> who doesn't have a guest room where would I do it? I don't think it would
> happen regularly but if something went wrong. . .  How do people handle
> this? - Maura

I've changed my sites in several places, including hotel rooms, borrowed
offices (many of my regular changes are done in my office at work anyway
because of the timing), first aid stations (many industrial facilities have an
infirmary/trauma first aid center with several exam rooms - they're usually
kept neat and clean and may even have a sharps box), restrooms at
churches...  after a while you get to the point where it only takes about five
to ten minutes to do a site change and you can do them just about anywhere
that is reasonably clean and private...  and just like testing your bg, if you
don't get excited it's highly likely that nobody else will either.  A couple of
months ago I did a set change in my doctor's office.  Some of the nurses
who work there hadn't seen a set change and since I was going to see the
doctor and it was the day to change the set I took the stuff with me.  That
was interesting - a set change with an audience isn't all that unusual for me,
though.  One of my sons helps with my changes - he counts down for me to
push the button on the SoftSerter, removes the tack needle (he does a very
good job with that!), and he likes to put the IV3000 or Tegaderm on the
site too.

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)