[IP] Nasty hypo guy (me) scares his gal. Here's her email:

If any of you can relate to what it's like to see the person you love turn
into a low blood sugar monster, and can offer any words of reassurance or
advice to my wonderful girlfriend, please eMail her at
email @ redacted She's not on the IP list, and could really use
some moral support from others who've dealt with a monster like me.
I was a real creep to Mia yesterday morning after I awakened with severe
low blood sugar. It took her a good half hour of cajoling before I finally
accepted the juice and tablets she offered me. By that time she was quite
late for work. The worst part of it was that I became (mildly) physically
abusive to her for the first time in the two and 1/2 years we've been
together. (After waking up in a cold sweat, I awkwardly hugged her, but
held her too tight and wouldn't let go; this really scared her. At one
point, she held out glucose tablets to me and I grabbed her wrist roughly
and tried to push them away.)
Like other episodes, this one caused anguish, stress and tears. Like other
episodes, I got really snotty  and didn't want anyone suggesting that I do
things (drink juice/eat tablets) that I'm too spaced-out to figure out on
my own in a timely fashion. I feel horrible about it, and I feel like the
luckiest person on earth that she still loves me.  We've talked it through
and I'm pretty sure we've survived okay.
TO DMers AND LOVED ONES: For me, time between episodes continues to
lengthen the longer I have the pump (began on it in '97). I'd do nothing to
change that, but I wonder if this makes us less emotionally prepared for
"next time."  How do we stay ready for it psychologically? And when it
occurs, have you found ways that work/don't work of getting needed carbs
with a minimum of upheaval?
TO DMers: DM has turned me into a tough guy. The tears I mentioned weren't
mine, but Mia's. Before we met, I'd spent 8 years--mostly on my
own--dealing with hypos of varying degrees. I got the pump the year of my
first emergency room visit, and haven't seen another since. I'm still not
used to having someone know or CARE that I'm low. Being a single diabetic
hardened me to the extent that being unable to complete a sentence still
doesn't constitute an emergency. Eventually, I stop staring at the juice
and drink it. But Mia and I are inseparable, and she reads me like a book.
To her, a hypo like yesterday's borders on catastrophic. If I'm
unresponsive to her attempts to help me, it drives her nuts.
Finally, I want to make it clear here that my clutching/bearhug caused
emotional bruises only. It was scary because it was so out of character,
and I am very ashamed of this. Over our time together, I've seen the toll a
hypo takes on Mia, and I'm a much more careful person (with a fine-tuned
basal rate) because of it. This episode was the result of an erroneous
temporary increase at dinnertime. Thanks very much for taking the time to
read this long post, and I welcome any comments you might have. If you'd
rather post them to the list than to Mia, I'll forward them to her. -Peter