[IP] RE: Exercise-basal rate changes-carbs

Derek said,

> ..........<snip>......  1/2 hour before exercise, I drop my basal to 0.1,
and keep it
> there till I'm done. The big thing to watch for is when you stop
> exercising and need to eat something.  I many times don't bolus enough
> to cover it; you have to remember that there isn't much insulin in your

When I exercise for extended periods I either reduce my basals or suspend
the pump 1/2 hour before beginning.  After exercising there is, like you
said, very little circulating insulin and my bG will rise rapidly.  However,
if I resume my usual basal rate 1/2 hour before ending the exercise my bG
remains stable.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998