[IP] Handling a sitse change not at home

> From: Maura Orloff <email @ redacted>
>    I'm wondering how to people handle changing the set when they are
> not at home? I can't picture doing it in a public restroom or in the car
> since I mostly use my buttocks as a site. It seems like you have to spread
> out and you would need an office or a room where you could close the door.
> I'm thinking if I'm on campus or a conference or if I stay with a friend
> who doesn't have a guest room where would I do it? I don't think it would
> happen regularly but if something went wrong. . .  How do people handle
> this? - Maura

This is NOT the answer you are looking for, but let me share an experience.
In '89 I was in an emotional care unit for 2 weeks, using a pump that had to
have recharged batteries every 2-3 days. We were not allowed to have any
cords, therefore my charger was in the nurses' station where it was plugged
in. I had to do a site change and I was in the only room without a bathroom,
so had to use the one in the hall. NO table, chair, etc. Of course the sink
had no flat surface anywhere to lay anything on. I had to use the edge of
the tub which was the largest flat surface around.

Somehow I managed to drop the only extra infusion set into the open,
unlidded toilet. I didn't have another so had to have hugsband bring me
another one from home. Did I mention this was New Year's Eve close to
midnight? He had to come in the back way since the doors were all locked.
After I managed to get hooked up and prime the set, the battery died. I
always kept a charged one in my purse - but it was dead. I asked for the one
from the nurses' station. It was dead, too. Someone had turned off the wall
switch that ran *juice* to that outlet. My only hope was to call home and
see if I had another one in a charger there. Had to wait for hugsband to get
home and called him. It was there and charged. He had to drive back to the
hospital and work his way through the security guards again and up the back

In the meantime, I told the nurse in charge who was reading a book that I
could be unhooked for an hour and it was an hour and a half then. If I had
no charged battery at home, I was in trouble. He said, Don't worry about it,
we'll give you a shot in the morning.  I repeated my plight. He repeated his
statement with a lot more authority(!!!). I thought, yeah, you will.
(lawsuit, lawsuit).

This was in the days of Velosulin before buffering, and whole units only
delivered for basals timed at the right intervals.  None of the above
*helped* my emotional state. ܰ