Re: [IP] Cave Ins

Subject: [IP] Cave Ins

<She's been a diabetic for over 40 years and only pumping for a few <months.
When she
<was young she always gave her shots in the same spots.  After <awhile she
developed what
<she called "Cave ins" in those areas.  They are 3-4" round dents in <her
arms and legs.
<She said back when she was on pork insulin her Dr. told her to <shoot the
pork insulin
<into those spots and when she did they eventually popped back <out.  Since
she's been on
<the pump she has developed two or three new "cave ins"  not from <pump
sites but from
<where she used to give shots.  Is there anything she can do to get <rid of
them? Is she
<stuck with them or will they eventually go away.

I've had diabetes for 46 years and been pumping for 2 1/2 years.  What you
call "cave ins" I call "pitting" and yes it can  go away on its own.  I've
never been on pork insulin, only bovine,  and   I never injected into the
spots  where the pitting occured.   It just healed itself eventually.  With
the pump and Humalog I have the opposite problem, lipohypertrophy (lumps of
fat that form underneath the skin) and I just avoid those areas since the
absorption rate there is poor.  I'm trying to find out more about infusion
related skin problems  because I'm sure that aging skin behaves differently
from younger skin.  I was 16 when I had the pitting in my legs, I'm now 60.

Denise Guerin
Type 1 46 years
Minimed 507  2 1/2 years