Re: [IP] Type I or Type II test?

Hi Carol,

There is a C-Peptide test which can help to tell how much
insulin is being produced.  One of the recent publications
of Diabetes Self Management or Diabetes Interview commented
about it.

Most doctors will call it T1 when you cannot survive without
taking insulin.  Although the fact that a person takes
insulin doesn't mean they are T1 or T2 - just means that
they need insulin.

I'll say it again - diabetes is an extraordinarily complex
condition - reading all the posts and talking to other
diabetics, I've almost reached the conclusion that there are
as many types of diabetes as there are diabetics....

Here's more than most people ever want to know - this will
make your non-diabetic associates' eyes glaze over:

ADA's Clinical Practice Recommendations describes T1 as
"Beta cell destruction leading to absolute insulin
deficiency" and T2 as "insulin resistance rather than
insulin deficiency."  T1.5 is a fairly new term for a person
with both insulin deficiency and insulin resistance.  A pure
T1 person would have no insulin production caused by
autoimmune destruction of beta cells or by idiopathic causes
(usually the person is prone to ketoacidosis). The T1 is
manifested by no or low levels of plasma C-peptide and would
be very sensitive to small changes in insulin dose.  The T1
people that I know generally take between 20 and 30 units of
insulin per day.  T2's generally take much more insulin
because of the resistance.  T 1.5's would take even more
insulin than most T1's because of the resistance issue and
more than T2's because T2's usually produce some insulin.
Although weight, diet, exercise, life style and other
factors greatly influence the amount of insulin needed.

It's extremely individual and for most people, we are
somewhere between pure T1 and T2.  It also can change during
one's life - a pure T1 diagnosed as a child could also
develop insulin resistance due to other contributing factors
for T2.  A pure T2 could also develop other types of
diabetes as well.

There are about a dozen types of Diabetes and multiple
causes or sub-categories for each one.  Most of these rare
types of diabetes are treated the same as T1 and are often
called T1 for simplicity.

 In addition to T1
and T2 there are Gestational Diabetes, Genetic defects of
the Beta Cells, Genetic defects in Insulin action, Diseases
that directly affect the pancreas (like pancreatitis and
cystic fibrosis), Endocrinopathies (diabetes caused by
afflictions like Cushing's syndrome), drug and chemical
induced diabetes, Infections which leave the patient
diabetic, "Stiff Man Syndrome", chromosomal abnormalities...
Did I miss any?  (sorry when took a "vacation" from work to
recover from pancreatitis - one of the subcategories - I
read lots of medical books.  The ADA Clinical Practice
Recommendation is hard to read, but a wealth of info.)

When I spoke with my Endo about the different types, he
noted that its easier for people to think of T1 and T2 and
T1.5. rather than all the variations....plus the treatments
tend to follow the treatments of T1 or T2 or both.

Pump Daddy