RE: [IP] cause for type 1

On 17 Oct 2000, at 11:02, Liz Davis wrote:

> Remember not to confuse correlation with causality, Lea.  Just because you
> had a virus before diagnosis does not mean the virus caused the
> diabetes.  You could very well have been an undiagnosed diabetic before you
> caught the virus.  It's possible that the virus just caused your (already
> high) blood sugars to sky rocket.

yes, this is more or less what happened to me.

After a bad bad cold that put me in ER one night, the thirst became
intense and that's what got me in to see the doc again a couple
months later.

Tracing backwards, I'd had other symptoms for somewhere
between 2-5 years before that I didn't know were associated with
diabetes.  Several years of recurring UTIs & yeast infections,
weight loss, gradually blurring vision, a bit of reactive
hypoglycemia, fatigue, depression-like symptoms that didn't
respond to meds like it had so many years before.

I've since wondered if my adventures with a fixator (pins in my
broken arm to hold the healing bone in the right position) triggered
some kind of autoimmune response.  That's just speculation.  Cuz
I feel compelled to figure out "what I did wrong".  And yeah, I know
that's silly.  It's just a variation on the "why me?" stage.