RE: [IP] cause fo type 1

Carrie Super [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I was also told the same thing, that diabetes can be caused
> by a virus.

That's one of the current theories.  Type 1 DM is associated with some
viruses, notably Coxsackievirus, which is similar (and related) to
Poliovirus.  However, no causal relationship has been established.  When
used this way, association is a statistical term meaning that the occurrence
of one appears to happen in a non-random fashion with respect to the other.
It's another matter altogether to demonstrate causality.  What one needs to
demonstrate is necessity and sufficiency: is the agent necessary to cause
the condition, and is it sufficient to cause the condition.  AFAIK, no
specific virus has yet been shown to be necessary and sufficient to result
in DM.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted