[IP] cause fo type 1

I was told by my doctor,within the last 6 years, that type 1 is caused by a
virus that you had as a kid. That was the first time I had heard that. Is it
true? Years before as a kid and adolescent I was told the reason for my D
was heredity. There was no one in my family that had it. Now there is me and
a younger cousin. What is the cause?   Lauri