[IP] phone card (sort of OT)

Some may consider this off topic, but with the volume of members, someone
may be able to help me. I am going to get listed for a kidney/pancreas
transplant and it is advised to have a pre-paid phone card to save long
distance charges for when the call comes and there is a long
hospitalization. I have seen one that is 981 minutes for $10 which sounds
too good to be true. I cannot see the *rules and regulations* until I
actually buy one.  What are your experiences with which companies? How
reliable are they?