Re: [IP] Next Generation - MiniMed 511

This is an excerpt taken from from DiabetesNet.com -

"The 508 is a minor upgrade of the 507C pump. MiniMed
is working on their next generation pump called the
511. With the 511, MiniMed is switching to a DC motor,
preferred for its strength and smooth basal delivery.
The 508 will become the last of the solenoid or
stepper motor pumps produced. The 511 is expected to
incorporate frequent basal delivery, which is found in
every other manufacturer's pumps. Its size is expected
to be slightly smaller size with bidirectional
infrared communication for PC connection and radiowave
transmitter for continuous monitoring devices.

Another feature of the 511 is expected to be better
protection against electrostatic discharge which has
been a nagging problem with current models. Static
electricity, which can be encountered following
contact with devices like a lawnmower or touching a
doorknob after crossing a rug, can cause the 508 to
zero out the pump's basal rates without warning. The
loss of basal rates is usually discovered only after
the user encounters unexplained high blood sugars,
although it would be wise to recheck basal settings at
any time the user feels a static discharge."

My doctor as well as the sales rep for MiniMed said
they have heard of the 511 being able to connect or
include the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, but
this is not confirmed yet.