[IP] RE: Q from an *Oldie*

Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue asked:

> I said all that to ask this (~_^): When you other *oldies* were approached
> with MDI or doing your own BGs, how did you accept it? (I think
> many of the
> newbies just know that's the way you treat DM not knowing *the Good ol'
> Days)

For the decade between the mid fifties to the late sixties I saw my doctor
as infrequently as I could.  He always had me go to the lab for a fasting bG
a couple of days before an office visit.
While using one injection of PZI in the morning and one or two of Regular,
the results were always between 250 and 300+ mg/dl.  He would always tell me
I had to do a better job of controlling my bG.  The harder I tried the more
I would crash with hypos.  Finally, I read a book written by a diabetic who
had a meter that was called the Eyetone, by Ames.  I called to order one but
was told they would not sell to patients.  I called the ADA for help.  They
called back and said they talked with Ames.  If I produced a letter from my
doc and agreed to be trained in its use by a distributor Ames would sell me
one for $600.  My doc provided the letter but was hesitant because he feared
that if patients had quick and easy access to their bG it would lead to
becoming obsessive about control.  The meter had a d'Arsenval(sp) movement
(a needle that swept across a range of numbers and stopped at the proper bG
reading).  Ames said that in a month they were going to release their first
digital meter so I waited and received the Ames Dextrometer.  It required 5
minutes to warm up and used AC voltage but also had a rechargeable power
pack that lasted 60 minutes per charge. You applied blood to the strip,
waited 60 seconds, washed it, patted it dry, then put the strip into the
meter.  During a hospital stay, I learned that if I waited ~70 seconds I
could approximate lab results.  What a revelation!   My bG was ALWAYS high
in the morning and going low for much of the remainder of the day.  I soon
put myself on MDI to gain control but  was not able to conquer the dawn
phenomenon until Humalog became available and I began using two injections
of ultralente, Humalog before meals and for highs, and NPH at 11:30 p.m.
Even so, morning bGs were very iffy until the pump.  Throughout the early
years I seldom tested urine because I found it worthless.  I would use the
Clinitest tablets in the test tube, read high (4+), then crash two hours
later.  Oddly, I think I can see limited use for the urine test now.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998