Re: [IP] Q from an *Oldie*

At 10:41 AM 10/13/00 , you wrote:

>I said all that to ask this (~_^): When you other *oldies* were approached
>with MDI or doing your own BGs, how did you accept it? (I think many of the
>newbies just know that's the way you treat DM not knowing *the Good ol'
>Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM 507C 3/99)

I must have been diagnosed on a different planet...

Since being dx in 65 there was only about a year when I was on one shot a
day.  Even before testing I "knew" that it wasn't on 1 shot a day so I was
on at least 2 (my choice).  Once disposable syringes became easily
available injections were no longer a "production number"....

My neighbor in the late 70s was a Dr. of Internal Medicine and said they
just  got some new test strips (Chem Strip BG) in the lab and wondered if I
wanted to try them. Had one bottle that lasted a long time.... I wasn't
thrilled to use the corrugated stainless lancet.

When meters came down to $250.00 I chose to buy one that used the Chem
Strip.  Don't think anyone was covering meters at the time... Later I got
involved in a couple hour marketing study asking "what if" about BG
meters.  Turned out the study was paid for by a small local company called
Lifescan (before J&J) and the study was for the One Touch...

Don't remember when I officially started MDI, though once I was actively
using the meter, I was adjusting for high BGs...

Think the doctors that I had over the years did help in "pushing the

When diagnosed in 1965 my GP didn't know anything  about diabetes, so he
took the time to "research" the latest information.

Got my next dr as the result a fight with the L. A. Board of Education
about being able to take drivers' training.  He volunteered his time and
expertise to "certify" type Is as able to take drivers' training. Over the
years I saw his name mentioned more than a few times related to diabetes...

Next doc had read "new literature" about ace inhibitors being used
preventively for the kidneys. (early 70s)...

And when I was told that in 94 that I could get a pump for free through my
HMO, I decided at that price it was worth the risk of not liking it....

Jim S.