[IP] strange eye problems!!

I had a very strange thing happen to me the other night with my eyes. I was
sitting watching TV and all of a sudden I could see this long colorful,
strobing (sp) light in what at first, I thought was just my right eye. But
even after I closed my eyes, I could see it in both eyes. I do have
proliferative retinopathy in both eyes and have had 12 laser treatments. But I
have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Does this sound related or
more like something else? I ended up with a mild headache, but I think it was
more from the fear of what had happened, rather than as a result of the eye
problem. It went away some time after I had gone to sleep. Any ideas or
suggestions? Thanks in advance. Denise.