[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #553

Hi Gail,  Boy I could have wirtten you post about your husband!  I am in the
same boat. Ive only had my pump for two months so I guess its understandable,
but I cant seem to make him understand that everything about my diabetes is
different now. He still insists on taking a bottle of orange juice with us in
the car. I say, John, I dont need that anymore. My pancreas works just like
yours now. That is all to no avail however. He still checks me in the middle
of the night to see if Im sweating. And says the usual things like, Here, you
are stumbling, drink this orange juice Well, I know Im not stumbling, but I
just go along with the program. I keep telling myself, he has been doing this
for 36 years. Im not going to change him overnight!  Don't get me wrong tho,
He has been my rock all these years. And now that our kids are out on their
own, he is my only support. And another thing while Im at it, do you notice
that no matter how much you explain to your friends about diabetes, they
simply dont get it? How often Ive explained to people what to do if I act
spacey, or am stumbling, as my husband would say, they still panic and I find
myself tooling down the highway in the back of an ambulance!  Well, no more
of that nonscense now that I have my trusty pump. Joan