Re: [IP] MDI the good old bad old days

>I said all that to ask this (~_^): When you other *oldies* were approached
>with MDI or doing your own BGs, how did you accept it? (I think many of the
>newbies just know that's the way you treat DM not knowing *the Good ol'

Here, here!  DM is so east today compared to when you & I were younger.
When I was diag at age 9 in 1973 I was told how lucky I was that there were
now diposable syringes!  I concede that that was far more convenient than
boiling the old type glass syringes.  Still; how few remember those days is
a reminder that most of us didn't make it - at least not in good enough
health to have  achance to participate in a forum like IP.

It was truly hell to have nmo such thing as A1c's (came along when I was
about 17) and no home bg's.  Let me tell the newbies that carrying a small
chemistry set and peeing into test tubes in front of my friends and
classmates (in the male washrrom of course) was far worse than doing bg's
in front of them!  Still this meant running in what I know was the 300-600
mg/dl range most of the time.  Again, in those days; control meant taking
one injection per day and showing the occasional negative in the urine

When home bg testing came along in my late teens; this was a god-send.  The
old machine cost about $300 and I had to have a 120v plug, fresh running
water and a piece of tissue to do a "simple" test.  This was still great;
although it meant a large kit to carry on camping and bycycle trips as well
as always trying to find a 120v outlet with nearby running water in a

As a teen; I loved the ability to "prove" to myself that I was high or low
and make necessary adjustments.  Urine testing ended abruptly and I was
very happy with bg's.

Then shortly after I rec'd a prototype pen!  It lasted until this year!  It
has been everywhere with me!  The pen and going to three injections per day
really changed my life.  With teh better control I was able to go form
failing school to placing 5/55 in my graduate class.  It was only the
advent of the pen, home bg testing and my own DM (I left the medical
estabilishment and it's judgemental crap when I was 18) that enabled me to
proceed thru school and university.

I can hardly wait for the pump (found one used that i can buy) and take the
next step.  I wish I had access to a CBGM.  it wil be another 2-5 years
before we can get them in Canada.  Until then i have no idea what's keeping
me in night sweats each night and truly causing the am bg's of 400-500 each
day.  I am hoping the pump will enable me to basal adjust in such a way as
to rule out or cure the night bg problems.

That's my 2 cents, Andrew.  I love your posts!

Darrin Parker
email @ redacted   Nova Scotia, Canada!