Re: [IP] Re: when to let go

Kasey wrote:
> My daughter is now 7 and was diagnosed at age 3.  She's been on the pump
> for just over 2 years.  While I've always trusted her to enter her
> boluses in her pump, I've always done the math and decided how to treat
> highs and lows.  I just didn't think she was able to make such "grown
> up" judgments at age 7.  Well, I found out today that the school
> secretary (who monitors Kayla's lunch checks) has been out for the last
> 2 weeks!  Kayla offhandedly mentioned that her lunch bg was 201 and that
> normally calls for a 0.5 bolus, but if it had been 199 she wouldn't
> bolus at all.  She decided to go with a 0.3 instead.  I wondered aloud
> why the secretary had not called me if they weren't sure what to do, and
> Kayla told me about the secretary being gone!  It turns out that Kayla
> has been managing for herself for the last 2 weeks and she's been doing
> an incredible job...no weird numbers at supper time.
> If I had known ahead of time that the secretary would be out, I would
> have demanded that Kayla call me everyday with her numbers.  Even though
> I'm a little irked that I wasn't notified, I'm also glad because I don't
> know when I would have decided to let Kayla assume more responsibility
> in making treatment decisions.  After talking with her about her lunch
> checks over the last 2 weeks, I'm completely awed by how much she truly
> knows.  I guess she's been paying attention the last 4 years!!!
> Kasey

Isn't it amazing how much kids let their parents think that they are in

Now you have the problem Of "conveniently forgetting" how capable Kayla
is when she wants you to "do it for her" cause she doesn't want to...

Some of you parents may even do something that your kids consider
putting them "at risk". That's where communication is important...

And there are some kids who are willing to let the parents take care of
"everything" so there is "no personal responsibility".

Getting philosophical,

Jim S.