[IP] Re: when to let go

My daughter is now 7 and was diagnosed at age 3.  She's been on the pump
for just over 2 years.  While I've always trusted her to enter her
boluses in her pump, I've always done the math and decided how to treat
highs and lows.  I just didn't think she was able to make such "grown
up" judgments at age 7.  Well, I found out today that the school
secretary (who monitors Kayla's lunch checks) has been out for the last
2 weeks!  Kayla offhandedly mentioned that her lunch bg was 201 and that
normally calls for a 0.5 bolus, but if it had been 199 she wouldn't
bolus at all.  She decided to go with a 0.3 instead.  I wondered aloud
why the secretary had not called me if they weren't sure what to do, and
Kayla told me about the secretary being gone!  It turns out that Kayla
has been managing for herself for the last 2 weeks and she's been doing
an incredible job...no weird numbers at supper time.

If I had known ahead of time that the secretary would be out, I would
have demanded that Kayla call me everyday with her numbers.  Even though
I'm a little irked that I wasn't notified, I'm also glad because I don't
know when I would have decided to let Kayla assume more responsibility
in making treatment decisions.  After talking with her about her lunch
checks over the last 2 weeks, I'm completely awed by how much she truly
knows.  I guess she's been paying attention the last 4 years!!!

(a digest lurker)

P.S. Sara - Kayla no longer stuffs her pump in her underwear.  She
realized it looks odd.  Sigh.  She must be growing up.