[IP] Insurance letter

Today I FINALLY received a copy of the letter that was sent to the insurance
company for Cory's pump.  I am concerned because it states that he has type
"a" insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Humm never heard of type a -- sure
they meant 1.  Also they said that he attempts to maintain with 2 - 3 shots
--- never, never, never did we try it with only 2. We asked if we could do
that and were told absolutely not that he must always have 3.  At times he
has even had 4 or 5 shots and still remained high!  They did say that he has
remained compliant and has experienced multiple glycemic excursions. Whatever
that means!  The next 4 paragraphs dealt with the DCCT and mentioned that
this can be accomplished with 3- 4 injections daily or with a pump!  How dare
them!  Cory has not been able to manage on 3 - 4 injections daily.  He has
horrible highs or dangerous lows!  That stupid NPH peaks when and if it gets
good and ready!  Injections have not been a good option based on what I have
learned about pumping. They did not mention how these highs and lows affect
his daily living, how he is unable to perform well at school due to the
highs/lows and being in the clinic instead of class!  No mention was made of
the social impact of a child who just wants to be able to go to birthday
parties, bowling, etc. with other kids and eat when they eat.  Oh well, I
hope the insurance company will approve this in spite of the fact that I
think I could have written a better letter!
Wish us luck,
Grand - mom  to Cory
age 11 ~ dx'd 12/28/98