Re: [IP] when to let go

<part of original post>
<Anyway, what would have happened if I wasn't there?  Am I willing to
take that risk, or to trust others to do what I do?  I don't know.  I
would guess most of you are adults and not parents of kids, but what
would you do?>

Hi Susan,

I take it that Allie is around 12? I think what would have happened if
you weren't there is that when she woke up she would have heard the pump
alarm, tested her blood sugar, found it very high, and 1) talked to the
responsible adult there who (I assume) would have been briefed by you,
and/or 2) called you for advice. I assume that even on her own, she
would (eventually) have changed the site. Result? She would have felt
very poorly for a few hours, maybe even half a day, but it wouldn't have
been catastrophic.

Bottom line: my guess is that you have already gone over with her
numerous times the diagnostic procedures, etc. So she may not have
handled it as fast as you did, but she would have done so. To ease your
mind a bit, remember that many of us older diabetics were on one measely
shot a day for years, and tested our urine 4 times a day (which told us
NOTHING about where our blood sugar was at the moment), and somehow
SURVIVED! I was 13 when diagnosed, and took charge of my own diabetes
even at that age. No one else has ever given me an injection (except
when I was in the hospital), though my mother learned how. From
1965-1980, through all my teen years and college years, etc., somehow I
made it, with a very crude diagnostic tool (the urine tests). And my
point is, nearly all of us made it through those years!! Today because
of the blood sugar meters, your daughter can find out where she is right
away, and then can take appropriate action.

By the way, my two children are now 19 and 21, and yes, it is HARD to
let go and give them responsibility, but I always figure it is better to
give them an increasing amount of responsibility during middle school
and high school while they're still home and we can quietly oversee what
they're doing, rather than wait til they go off to college! But I think
that your protectiveness is quite natural, and all of us parents go
through it!

Keep up the good work!  And yes, this list is alive and well....

Take care.