[IP] Convincing Blue Shield...

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:10:50 -0700
From: Liz Davis <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Convincing Blue Shield...

At 08:32 PM 10/9/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>As my profile said, I'm looking into pumps and working on
>convincing my insurance company (Blue Shield of California) to
>cover it.

If your doctor has prescribed a pump and they do not cover it for you (as
long as they'll cover it for anyone else) they are practicing medicine
without a medical degree.  Remind them of this.  Tell them you'll be in
touch with the insurance commission.
Just have your doctor send his Rx and your insurance information, MM has a
form, Assignment of Benefits,
directly into Minimed. My doctor did that and within a week I had my pump
sitting at my door, along with three months
of supplies, no copay.

You see that in Dec '99 Calif passed a law that any insurance company doing
business in Calif is required to cover the Pump,  pump supplies, meters and
strips. Minimed is very good at breaking down any resistance, and has
contracts with most of the insurers doing business in Calif. If you want an
excerpt of the law go to the ADA Advocy web site:

but the basic thing is don't do it yourself let the professionals do it for you.