RE: [IP] Quick Question

Linda [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Well, he finally let me test him Sat and fasting was 130.
> Sunday 3 hrs
> post meal he was 179. I know the ADA changed the fasting
> guidelines a few yrs
> back and lowered the level. Is 130 above that level or not?

Yes, it is for a fasting BG.  But (and it's a big but(t)), testing with our
meters does not constitute diagnostic testing, but it is legitimate for
screening.  Further, the guidelines are two consecutive fasting glucose
readings of over 126 or one random glucose over 200.  His numbers are high
enough that he should probably go have the diagnostic lab tests done.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted