Re: [IP] Re: Restrictions b/c of D

On 9 Oct 2000, at 15:21, email @ redacted wrote:

> <<<randallapex wrote:  The catch is that we are still discriminated against.
> And it's legal
> government endorsed discrimination, courtesy of the establishment.  Try to
> buy health insurance and you'll quickly discover that you are a member of a
> persecuted minority.

I'm in California.  Last fall, after I had given notice at my employer
and while preparing to work for my husband's company (sole
proprietorship), I got the diabetes diagnosis.  We'd been working on
getting a group health insurance plan for our little company and this
sent me into a panic--would I get coverage?!?!?

I found out that in California (and I KNOW I'm going to quote this
regulation *wrong* but I'll get the gist of it right) if you have NOT
been without coverage for more than X months (I *think* it's 1 year,
but could be 6 months, I can't remember now), then they cannot
deny coverage of the "preexisting condition".

Seems like a strange rule to me--why can they deny you if you've
been without coverage for longer than X months?!?  Sounds like
some kind of compromise thing that the policitians worked out.

But still it meant that my new diagnosis would be covered, I could
quit my old job and not worry about that aspect of it.

Lke I said, I know I've quoted this regulation slightly wrong, but I
wanted to make sure that other Californians know that there is
something they can fall back on and can look into if needed.