Hello Gale, this is my first post but I felt compelled to tell you of my
experience with making a decision between Minimed and Disetronic. First, I'd
like to say that both units perform the function they need to perform and to
that end, the choice must be a personal one. I had the reps from each
company working me for a good two months before I finally made a decision,
the bottom line I gave them was this:

Being such a large and important purchase, I would like a "loaner" to put my
hands on, read through the owner's manual, do some mock programming etc.
Each reluctantly did so, and I was glad I insisted on this because it made
my decision much less emotional and much more analytical. I decided to go
with the Minimed 507C, despite the horror stories the Disetronic rep told me
about blockages and the fact that HIS unit could "pump through" minor
blockages (sometimes I think to myself that both pumps were equal, and the
"bad-mouth" tactics used by the Disetronic rep is what actually tipped the
scales).

I have been using the Minimed 507C pump since September of 98, and could not
be happier with its performance. Yes, I do occasionally get a blockage alarm
which has been either the syringe or the Sof-set infusion set pulling out of
my abdomen and laying on top of the skin. However, I don't believe that
these problems are unique to Minimed. Anyway, good luck in your decision and
regardless of what you choose, it WILL change your life for the better.

Todd Merkle
Warren, MI