Re: [IP] Growing Child

Darlene wrote:

> I need help
> Kap is waking up at 4am - 5am with high bgs. High meaning 350-390.
> This is happening about every other night and not every night.
> I check him at bedtime - 11pm and 1-2 am and his #s are GREAT with in
range.
> Not only are the highs concern me - it is the fact he is waking up and
waking
> me up to check and determine his bolus.  He has always been surprised he
was
> high and not low.  He has been cold, a sure sign of low.

Since this is happening every other night rather than every night, and since
he's getting 'low' symptoms before the high sugars, I'd try setting the
alarm a little later and testing him about 3AM.  It could be that he's
sleeping through a low, his liver is kicking in and dumping glucose, and
he's waking up when he finally gets high.  The other thing that might help
when your endo gets back is seeing if you can get a Continuous Glucose
Monitor for a few days and get a handle on what his sugars are really doing
over more than one night.

The cold part really makes me wonder if a low isn't involved here
somewhere -- in my rollarcoaster BG days if I woke up cold and clammy it
almost always meant that I'd had a low I was coming out of rather than
needing more insulin for the high that was starting to develop thanks to my
ever-helpful liver.

Of course, I'm not Kap, and HMMV, but it might be something to check on.

Hang in there.  Hope this helps,
Kathy Trondsen