[IP] glucagon

I have been battling to get school staff trained in proper diabetic care.
Today the nurse's district administrator called me and said he had spoken
with a staff member from our endos office who said it is not necessary!  At
the pump training session we attended we were told the importance of having
the staff trained and of having someone there who can administer glucagon.
The excuse for not administering it is that we are within a mile or two of
the fire department which has an EMT.  Well there is no guarantee that they
won't be out on another call when or if Cory should ever need them.  I am
very uncomfortable with this.  Right now Cory is fighitng lows -- last week
it was highs.  Today he dropped to 37 half an hour prior to lunch.  He has
had several high 40's to high 50's.  I've reduced his insulin by 5 units in
the am and 2 more in the evening.  Activity has not been increased so I don't
know why he is going so low,but sure wish I knew someone could meet his needs
in an emergency.  Looks like I can't fight a battle here if the endo's staff
is going to "cave in" to the school.  The administrator said he would "ask"
if any staff member is willing to be trained but it will not be required. I
give up!
Grand-mom to Cory
age 11 ~ dx'd 12/28/98